Next: About this document ...
Up: The future of the
Previous: Progress Report
- Is the TASK language still necessary ? Can we simplify that by more
simple procedures ?
- Documentation: Should we move all help files to html format? Can we
install the "lynx" text browser to test this capability ? Who does that
- Fortran 90 usage:
Using Fortran 90 would simplify some programs. There is a free linux
compiler. We can buy a f77-f90 converter (cost depending on number of
line codes converted see http://www.psrv.com/vast77to90.html).
Implications on our general coding practices, in particular the pre-
processor should however be evaluated. Remember, we are using some
special f90 constructs like INTEGER(KIND=4) and POINTER as having very
different meanings in our pre-processor.
- Who evaluates in detail the impact on portability / reconstruction
- Can we start writing new code in f90, at least in tasks ?
- Is it worth to automatically convert our old f77 code to f90 code ?